The Source of Vitamins and a Good Mood: Bananas During Pregnancy
Banana (lat. Músa) – the fruit of the same name herbaceous plant that grows in tropical climates. There are more than 40 species of bananas, but for export and mass consumption we prefer artificially bred named «Musa paradisiaca». In some countries, the cultivation of this fruit is the main source of government revenue in the economy.
The plant is considered to be one of the highest in the world among the grasses. Banana plants are 9 meters height.
The fruits have bunches and may include from several dozens to hundred of bananas. Depending on the grade it can have different color, size and shape. However, they often have an elongated triangular or cylindrical shape, from 3 to 40 cm length. The bananas peel is hard enough, and its color can vary from yellow-green to reddish-brown. The fruit pulp is used in food and has shades of white, cream, yellow or orange. Inside the wild varieties of banana there are a large number of seeds, so its value sometimes can be significantly larger than the value of pulp. Cultivated kinds of banana have no seeds or have very small, imperceptible to taste seeds.Contents
The benefits of bananas during pregnancy
Bananas are a long time gained immense popularity in our country. These sweet fragrant fruit is available all year round, are cheap and contain a lot of nutrients. Banana easily you can eat with a small feeling of hunger – it is a very rich fruit and easy to eat.
Banana, in fact, is a very healthy fruit. It’s just like a storehouse of vitamins and minerals!
- Potassium. This trace element is very useful for the smooth operation of the heart muscle. Banana helps with high blood pressure, which is very often during the pregnancy, reduces swelling and spasms.
- Vitamin B6. First, scientists have proved that having this vitamin in proper quantity facilitates the feeling of nausea in the first trimester of pregnancy, and secondly, vitamin B6 is essential in the formation of the hematopoietic system of the future baby. It is enough to eat a couple of bananas a day to compensate the daily needs in this essential vitamins.
- Vitamin C. This vitamin helps the immune system to deal with infections, has an antioxidant effect, which helps a pregnant woman to deal with stretch marks, varicose veins, bleeding gums. Future moms have to take a sufficient amount of vitamin C, and there is a lot of it in bananas.
- Iron. This trace element is found in small quantities in the banana, however, combined with the previous vitamin, iron successfully absorbed in the expectant mothers organism.
- Folic acid. Vitamin, it is necessary in the development of the nervous system of the child. The need of this kind of vitamins for pregnant women is very high, to compensate the deficit of folic acid expectant mother should diversify her diet, eat a lot of greens, salads and, of course, bananas.
- Zinc. Very important and essential trace elements contained in a banana. Required for normal development of the taste buds of the future baby, for its normal development in whole. Gastrointestinal tract of pregnant women experiencing enormous loads, and often expectant mothers complain on constipation and heartburn.
It’s also helpful in case of heartburn – the fruit have a good effect on the gastric mucosa, it will soothe and relieve the burning sensations.
In addition to the beneficial effects on the stomach and intestines, the banana has a positive effect on women’s mood while bearing a child. The future mom’s mood is very changeable! Because of the endorphins, that contains in the bananas, eating a couple of bananas per day, will help you to cheer up.
Nutrients in a banana, per serving (126 grams, or one medium-sized banana with 110 nutrient-dense calories):
- Vitamin B6 – 0.5 mg
- Manganese – 0.3 mg
- Vitamin C – 9 mg
- Potassium – 450 mg
- Dietary Fiber – 3g
- Protein – 1 g
- Magnesium – 34 mg
- Folate – 25.0 mcg
- Riboflavin – 0.1 mg
- Niacin – 0.8 mg
- Vitamin A – 81 IU
- Iron – 0.3 mg
Bananas possible harm for pregnant women
Singing an ode for useful substances contained in bananas, don’t forget about the possible harm that could be caused by this fruit.
Banana is considered as hypoallergenic fruit, but in any case, do not abuse with it. For example, banana shake with milk, is tasty and nutritious, and considered as super caloric product. This mixture will “help” the expectant mother to put on weight that will affect the health and appearance of women.
You also should not eat too much green bananas, they contain a lot of insoluble starch that cannot be digested in the stomach and may cause bloating and excessive gas. When buying unripe fruit you’d rather give it some time to lie down and eat it in the form of a ripe fruit, when the starch will turn into sugar.
Women with thrombophlebitis, and increased blood clotting should forget about eating a banana. As mentioned above, bananas intensifying detachment of excessive fluid from the body, reducing the swelling, but, at the same time, increasing the density of the blood, which increasing the risk of thrombosis. That is very dangerous!
In countries with temperate climate zones, bananas are used as dessert, and used in raw form for the preparation of cakes, pastries, chocolates, ice cream, jelly, marmalade and Muffins, mousses and fruit salads, all in dependence of future mothers tastes and preferences. In tropical countries, however, bananas cooked in a huge number of first and second courses. When cooking it in the peel or frying it’s pulp, you may use salt, pepper, vinegar, garlic, olive oil, onions and other spices.
See the inaccuracy, incomplete or incorrect information? Do you know how to make an article better?
Want to suggest a photo for a photo?
Please help us make the site better! Leave a message and your contacts in the comments - we will contact you and make the publication better together!