Curly Parsley – Benefits During Pregnancy
Parsley is a spice herbal plant which is originated from warm Mediterranean region and nowadays is cultivated worldwide.
Being biennial, parsley grows a rosette of leaves during the first year and in the second year it produces plenty of tiny flowers and seeds.
Garden parsley leaves are curly, yellowish-green in color and sometimes they can be whitish-green. They have very special lasting spicy aroma for which people add chopped parsley to their food as flavoring. Parsley roots are used to for the same purpose.
Garden parsley – both flavoring and natural medicine
Most of us like parsley smell and taste, and use this pretty curly herb creating new culinary masterpieces. Many nations appreciated the parsley deservedly and include its leaves and roots in various national dishes.
For example famous Caucasian cuisine can be taken – Abkhazians, Georgians, Armenians can`t imagine everyday food without a large amount of greens – basil, kinza, leek and, of course, parsley. Large plates with greens are served first and eaters put it to their meal to make it tastier and healthier.
This is not a mere coincidence that Caucasian people are famed for strength, great resources of health and their longevity is legendary. Their energy and stamina are explained by regular eating natural products including greens. So, if you want to be strong and cheerful begin to eat greens even if in small quantities.
Certainly, parsley is worth giving preference to. This small herb offers you great arsenal of useful elements. It is rich in vitamin C, B, PP, K, antioxidants, ascorbic acid, folic acid, selenium, iron, fluorine, calcium and magnesium.
Carotin comprised in parsley structure too. On the one hand parsley herb is very appetizing – it prepares your digestive system for proper work. And on the other hand, eating parsley improves fat metabolism and can be good for people with obesity. In case of intoxication parsley leaves helps in organism`s purification, normalizing metabolism. Enormous dose of selenium makes spicy herb powerful armory in prophylaxis of cancer.
Now let’s speak about parsley and pregnancy, how it affects on unborn baby’s health?
Curly herb have healing effects on pregnant
Naturally, benefits of adding flavorous parsley, fresh or dried to different dishes should not be ignored by women during pregnancy.
So, what are the health benefits of eating parsley in pregnancy?
- Antioxidants support mother`s immune system, her body resistance and protect her from falling ill in autumn and winter when it`s flu season. These unusual elements fight against free radicals and slow down processes of aging.
- Vitamins B and C help your organism to cope with oxidative stress.
- Vitamin K is needed for pregnant woman`s bones which carry increased loads during the period of childbearing. Calcium contained in green leaves is also needed for osteoarticular system of mom-to-be and her growing child.
- Parsley is rich in folic acid which prevents development of fetus congenital abnormalities from the side of the nervous system.
- It`s a natural well of iron and can be used in treatment of anemia from which many expecting mothers suffer from.
- Potassium and magnesium assists in removing swelling. Potassium is very useful for heart functions as well.
- Parsley is often used in cosmetology as calming, anti-swelling and whitening remedy. As a rule, a woman washes her face with some quantity of parsley decoction.
- Anti-inflammatory properties of parsley make this odorous herb effective in treatment of articular swelling and joint pains. This is rather acute problem, particularly touching last trimester.
But what about the side effects and contraindications?
In conditions when doctors advice to expecting mothers diversifying their menu by including fresh fruits, vegetables, greens, parsley seems to be absolutely safe and beneficial. But there`s a fly in the ointment.
Having heard about this appetizing curly herb as about strong abortifacient you`ll be shocked but that`s really so. Parsley oil contained in leaves, seeds and roots include myristicin and parsley camphor that provides increased uterus tonus, increases the frequency of fetal heartbeat and can lead to miscarriage.
Pregnant women who plan to give birth to their babies should limit the consumption of parsley, particularly during their first trimester avoiding the danger of miscarriage.
Sometimes during pregnancy expecting mothers change their taste preferences and become addicted to certain products eating them without control. Remember, it`s better to be careful with parsley, as it is rather specific.
Parsley – adding to food or using as a cosmetic preparation?
How to use parsley in times of childbearing?
- If you desire to enrich your dishes with vitamins and add to your food a bit of spicy taste, sprinkle 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh parsley in soups, salads, meet, mushed potatoes. If your parsley is dried, its amount is smaller and added during the process of cooking – frying, boiling.
- Parsley decoction is used during pregnancy for its diuretic effect. Diuretic properties of this remedy are useful in treatment of swellings. It is easy to prepare. Take one bunch of parsley, wash it thoroughly, and chop finely. For one portion you need 2 tablespoons of parsley leaves. Pour your greens with one glass of boiling water, put the lid on the decoction and keep it on water-bath for 15 minutes. Take 2-3 tablespoon 4 times a day between meals.
In conclusion we should note that curly garden parsley is not only a popular spicy flavoring but natural salutary remedy whose numerous curable properties are used in treatment of serious diseases. This herb haves certain positive effect during pregnancy period. But one should not forget that for moms-to-be parsley action is rather contradictory, that` s the reason why you must take it with caution when pregnant.
See the inaccuracy, incomplete or incorrect information? Do you know how to make an article better?
Want to suggest a photo for a photo?
Please help us make the site better! Leave a message and your contacts in the comments - we will contact you and make the publication better together!