Can a Pregnant Woman Go Swimming in a Pool?
The days when pregnancy was considered a disease that needed staying in bed are gone. Nowadays midwives and doctors insist that the movement is life.
It‘s already proven that the lack of movement could expose a woman to the risk of miscarriage, weakness of patrimonial activity and enhanced toxicity.
Therefore pregnant women should move. And the best way is doing it in the water. That’s why doctors actively recommend women to visit swimming pools and aqua aerobics.
But why do we need such classes? And what can they give to an expectant mother and her baby? Can a pregnant woman go swimming in a pool? That’s what we’re going to talk further.
Are swimming pools safe when pregnant?
Staying in the water in combination with physical activity has a beneficial effect on a woman’s body as it strengthens different groups of muscles, improves health and mood. Swimming is the most acceptable form of physical activity during pregnancy.
This activity is useful almost for all expectant mothers.
If everything is in order you can purchase new swimsuit and a card to a swimming pool.
The use of swimming during pregnancy
Swimming as a form of physical activity is useful for almost all healthy people, for an expectant mother it is twice useful. Water treatments in the pool affect the woman’s organism and fetal development as follows:
- When a woman is swimming, muscles of different parts of the body strengthen;
- The endurance increases, which is important in preparation for contractions;
- The blood circulation improves, eliminating the stagnation of blood in legs and pelvis, and this prevents occurring of varicose veins and hemorrhoids;
- Being in water significantly decreases the load on the spine, thus reducing pain in the lumbar region;
- Swimming increases the likelihood of the baby being in the correct position in the stomach (a cephalic presentation);
- Swimming takes the pressure off, relaxing and having a beneficial effect on the nervous system;
- Diving trains the breath-hold (necessary at the time of labour), while the combination of diving with special exercises will help the fetus turn the head down even in the late pregnancy;
- Water relieves pressure on the spine of pregnant women, pelvic region, legs; not allowing the fetus to put pressure on the internal organs.
Diving for pregnant women, as it turned out, is very helpful from the psychological and physical points of view.
We offer you to do the following: immerse in water, inhale more air and hold your breath, lower into the water with the face.
The pool is a perfect place for diving. The baby will get used to the lack of oxygen because nutrients and oxygen flow longer through the umbilical cord into its body during labor. Diving is also excellent to prevent the fetal hypoxia.
The benefits of Aqua Aerobics
You can walk or run in the water, raising your knees, do the legs’ swings and arms’ swings.
You must agree that you want to return to a good shape as quickly as possible. To train the internal muscles of your thighs we suggest that you perform for example the following exercise: stand next to the wall of the pool and grab the handrail.
Raise your legs maximally, spread them apart and put your feet against the wall. Hold a little in this position so that the thighs are accustomed to stretching. Then try to spread the legs even wider, as if you want to do the splits.
The pregnant are better to refrain from swimming if they have the following contradictions:
- allergies to odors;
- strong morning sickness which is accompanied by vomiting;
- if they have miscarried; if there are a variety of discharge from the cervix or bleeding;
- the tuberculosis in the acute stage;
- various diseases of acute course;
- systemic blood diseases;
- the chronic appendicitis;
- different forms of psoriasis;
- Skin diseases in the acute stage.
Pools with chlorine
Swimming in chlorine pool while pregnant. Now, let’s think what the consequences can be if you swim in the pool with chlorine during the pregnancy.
First, when pregnant swimming in such water, her skin is absorbing the chlorine and some of it somehow gets into the fetus.
Secondly, when breathing in the chlorine you’re poisoning yourself and the fetus. Yes, it’s not a lethal dose of poison. But if you often go to the pool and inhale small doses of chlorine, the body will start to accumulate it, and this will affect the fetus.
Not only women with pregnancy, but also people and children are better to choose swimming pools that use other water purification methods.
What purification method to choose?
For example, pools with sea water – brine. Its density is 22 units of salt per liter of water. This water too needs to be cleaned by using method of electrolysis and not by chlorination.
Some special device distinguishes active elements from the water and which disinfect it.
Such water has many benefits: it benefits the skin, nourishes it with minerals and has a positive effect on the nervous system because after bathing in such water a person becomes more calm and balanced.
The second place is occupied by pools with ozonized water. The ozonization is not dangerous for health and not harmful for the environment. It produces perfect disinfection of water – kills bacteria, viruses, mold and parasites and is much faster than chlorine.
Water purified with ozone does not irritate the skin and eyes, does not ruin your swimsuit and the hair and does not infringe the aqueous-alkaline balance of the skin. But since ozone is unstable substance, the establishments using it need to constantly clean the water, while ozone treatment plants are now very expensive.
Selecting a pool
How to choose public pools for swimming while pregnant?
The optimal temperature water in a pool for pregnant women is about 29 – 31° C.
We recommend you not to go in any ordinary pool, because almost every large school of preparation for pregnancy and childbirth can offer you classes in water.
Therefore, we advise you to choose such a specialized variant.
The company of other pregnant women will be a lot more fun and joy. When choosing an instructor you need to observe how he/she teaches his/her class.
Often the instructor only gives commands not watching the correctness of their implementation. That is not the best option for you.
The most important question for every pregnant woman, when she’s vising a swimming pool will be the question of hygiene. Here are simple rules which will help you to keep it up:
- Do not visit pools, if you have even a slight fever. A weakened immune system cannot protect you from skin infections.
- Be sure to take to the pool flip flops or slippers and take them off only on the side of the pool. It will protect your feet from fungal infections, which can be on the floor and easily inhabit cracks and microtrauma of the skin. Do not remove the shoes even in the shower.
- Use the swimming cap. Ерis will save your hair from the effects of chlorine and be courteous to other swimmers, because hair does not sink.
- Wash thoroughly under the shower before the pool as the remnants of cosmetics pollute the water and contribute to bacteria on your skin.
Every time after swimming wash the swimsuit, swimming trunks and towel with washing powder.
Otherwise they will save the chlorine and microorganisms. Don’t forget to wash yourself thoroughly with soap.
- Do not use others ‘ things when you visit the pool especially soap, slippers and towels. Through them the infection is transmitted most often.
- Try to come to the pool when there are less people.
In this video are opinions of a doctor and mothers-to-be on swimming during pregnancy:
Women who have chosen swimming as the main type of motor activity during pregnancy are more likely to avoid significant pain in the process of childbirth and such troubles as perineal tears, because during the exercises, the appropriate muscle groups are being trained.
Therefore, in the absence of contraindications and the presence of opportunities and places to practice, a pregnant woman should not abandon such a pleasant and useful kind of sport.
See the inaccuracy, incomplete or incorrect information? Do you know how to make an article better?
Want to suggest a photo for a photo?
Please help us make the site better! Leave a message and your contacts in the comments - we will contact you and make the publication better together!