Today yoga is getting more and more popular among childbirth classes as this type of exercise helps to build your endurance and make pregnancy flow easy and healthy. Even obstetricians recommend enrolling in prenatal yoga classes, as they are well aware that the techniques used here help to increase the chances of having a healthy baby.
In this article we will speak about all possible moves that could be done during pregnancy for normal delivery.
The yoga workout is built on three directions:
- The basis of yoga for pregnant women is to establish a “contact” between future mother and her baby. Woman should realize that she will soon start a new life and the foundation of the physical and emotional health of the future baby becomes the future mother’s attitude to herself.
In order to give birth to a mentally balanced child, a pregnant woman should learn to control her thoughts, psychological state and be able to tune in to positive thinking. This will guarantee trouble-free pregnancy and good emotions will for sure be passed to the kid.
- The psychological comfort of the expectant mother is important for both the child and mother. Yoga helps to get rid of depression that is accompanied by post-natal period, remove the emotional fatigue, stress, and find inner balance and to take the path of harmonious communication with loved ones.
It helps to learn how to control your feelings and reconfigure thinking toward positive.
- Finally, an important point of yoga for pregnant women is a physical preparation for childbirth expectant mother. Woman practices proper breathing which promotes emotional relaxation, takes a number of safe postures that strengthen her pelvic muscles and relieve tension from the spine, increases muscle tone.
In addition to strengthening the physical condition of the mother, such trainings have a positive impact on the baby’s health: proper breathing of pregnant woman improves the flow of oxygen to the womb, special asana increase fetal size, allowing the baby to move freely, and finally, it improves the overall blood supply to the fetus.
As a result, because of practicing pregnancy yoga moves childbirth becomes easier, without cervical ruptures and other complications.
Before you start workout
Yoga instructors claim that women can start classes at any stage of pregnancy. However, there are two factors you should always take into consideration before you start pregnancy yoga trainings: your period of pregnancy and your level of physical fitness. If you have practiced yoga before, it makes sense to go to a special “pregnant” group.
How to make the workout safe? There are certain rules you should follow in order to get the desired effect from yoga exercises for pregnant ladies:
- It is impossible to do exercises with a full stomach and bladder. You should eat 1-1.5 hours before training. At a pinch, you can eat something light (such as banana or yogurt) in 20-30 minutes before beginning your workout.
- Try to avoid shaking, jumping, and sharp moves of body positions throughout exercises. Learn how to smoothly get up and go to bed.
- Take care of yourself: listen to your body and try to follow its signals. Get a reasonable approach to the implementation of the power of asana.
- It is useful to strengthen the muscles of the legs, back and chest.
- If you did not practice, yoga before pregnancy do not rush off the bat: the load of the exercises must be increased very gradually. In addition, you should stop immediately if during some asana you feel discomfort or pain. Properly performed exercises should not cause pain, nausea or dizziness.
- It is not allowed to do asana, related to the position of “lying on the belly”, or the one in which you strain the abdominal wall. If you are performing exercises on balancing, it is safe to lean on a chair or wall.
- Once you have started, do not leave your trainings. In order to achieve your desired effect of yoga you need to follow the regular regime of doing exercises. Short-term and non-periodic loads during pregnancy are not desirable; they will cause stress to the body and can lead to unpleasant consequences.
Remember, that those who practiced yoga before pregnancy, it is not necessary to abandon the usual set of exercises.
This article “Which yoga is best in pregnancy?” was written in order to help you to make the right decision.
Warm-up before workout
Articular workout is the best way to prepare your body for classes in yoga. It allows warming up all the joints and muscle groups in your body.
Warm-up your body gradually and systematically. Do not forget about your breathing, do some meditation practice in order to move on your mind into the pregnancy workout yoga.
Now let’s talk about yoga exercises during pregnancy for normal delivery.
Pregnant yoga stretches should be done properly and carefully. They make the tissues more elastic and gives a woman the opportunity to avoid injuries in delivery.
Pregnant women usually have high level of the hormone relaxin, which causes relaxation of the pelvic ligaments and responsible for the expansion and normal delivery. Therefore, during pregnancy it is very easy to obtain stretch marks but be very careful to be not overstretched. Otherwise, after giving birth this place can give a pain for a long time and hurt badly (sometimes for one or even two months).
The easiest exercise to get stretching is to sit cross-legged for several minutes. Put your knees on the floor and hidden heels under the hips. When you get used to the position, repeat it for a longer period.
Also we highly recommend you to read the article “Best yoga poses for pregnancy” where you will find useful video tutorials. Besides, you might be interested in the theme of unsafe yoga poses during pregnancy, because it is very important to know dangerous postures.
Yoga in various periods of pregnancy
If at the beginning of pregnancy you are worried about insomnia or toxicosis, it is better to start classes in special groups for moms. Yoga techniques help to cope with some of these problems.
If the pregnancy goes with complications or there was an abortion in the past, engagement in the first trimester is possible only after consultation with a qualified physician. Usually a woman can get a reliable diagnose with an increased risk only in the second trimester.
So in the first three months yoga should be practiced with caution. If you want to know more information about postures that can be done during this period you should read “Early pregnancy yoga”.
In the second trimester of pregnancy, standing poses are especially useful. They contribute to the overall strengthening of the body and improve blood flow.
Try not to lie down on your back, as it may compress large vessels, which blocks blood circulation. For more information read the article “Yoga postures for pregnancy second trimester”.
The last trimester is the most traumatic, so be sure to use the additional support when performing asana. Try to use a chair or wall doing standing asana.
It will help you to keep your balance and avoid injuries. In some cases, woman may feel that her baby is protesting against some poses as some movement or body position can be uncomfortable for the baby. In this case, the activity should be stopped.
The third trimester program has some modifications: the number of asana performed against the wall is increased, as well as asana, aimed at opening the pelvis. It will be useful to read the article “Yoga exercises for pregnancy in the third trimester”.
Be careful in 12th, 13th and 14th weeks of pregnancy. During this period, the practice of asana should include only supine and inverted. The program of prenatal yoga should be in partial load mode as in this period the body is facing hormonal changes.
Combination of yoga with other activities
Although yoga is often considered as asufficient exercise for preparation of pregnant women for childbirth, some people look for other additional activities. In such cases instructors usually advice to choose swimming as the best combination with yoga trainings as water relieves stress and fatigue.
Yoga for pregnant women not only helps stabilize mood while waiting for the baby, but also greatly facilitates the delivery. Firstly, the systematic execution of asana helps the spine of expectant mother to take a physiologically correct position. This means that the load on the back becomes less.
Secondly, yoga helps to strengthen the muscles, making them flexible. Yoga classes pay a special attention to the muscle groups responsible for childbirth. Therefore, during the delivery, moms who have practiced yoga do not face any lacerations of the perineum and vagina.
Thirdly, yoga is not just exercises and breathing techniques. Performing asana help the expectant mother not only strengthen the body but also to achieve inner peace. During the period of trainings, you can avoid prenatal fear, uncertainty and doubt.
Use these beautiful nine months of waiting for your baby to learn to control your body, make it stronger and more resilient, to acquire the skills of correct breathing and relieve pain. Additionally, you can use the pregnancy to achieve inner harmony – with yourself, with the world around and with the baby.