What is the importance of food you eat during pregnancy?
As you should definitely understand, your daily diet is very important when you are pregnant.
This is obvious: in this period of life, woman not only eats food for herself, but for a baby as well.
In fact, the nutrition requirement can be increased by 300 and more calories daily because of that.
And as the baby’s organism is completely building up from scratch, it is important to build a perfectly chiseled foundation for your future child’s life.
All the systems are developed during the first and second trimesters, while they are polished on the third.
By controlling your own (and you baby’s) diet, you are giving a newly created organism an opportunity to take everything it needs to develop a completely healthy human. Now, how does one supply this gradually growing “factory” while pregnant? Well, an obvious answer would be food.
Food is fuel and a building material for our body. Babies need it as much as we do. And that they get from their mothers. Any baby receives a big part of elements from digested food that his/her mother eats. Though not everyone knows for sure what their baby needs for growth.
But in fact it is very simple and straight-forward. So what should you eat to support the development of your not yet born child?
What can you get from food?
So food, as you may know, consists of many essential nutrients. Vitamins, proteins, carbonhydrates, minerals, fat, calcium, iron, folic acid etc.
All of those elements are required for the perfect work of human organism.
Though some of them produce energy, some help regulate the work and some build up new cells, replacing the old ones.
And the last one is particularly important for the growing baby at it’s first stages of development. Those stages being first and the second trimesters.
The third one needs a combination of everything, as the baby is preparing for birth. Lets see in more detail what does every element from above give you:
- Vitamins. The biggest regulators of your organism. They are divided into many groups, which are marked by Latin letters A, B, C, K, L. Each one of them does it’s own thing, it being produce your immunity, help regenerate cell tissue, strengthen your bones and more. As vitamins are more regulators, than actual builders, they work in pair with other elements.
- Proteins. Their main use is building your cells up. Especially muscular tissue, though they are at all not limited to it. The intake of protein has to be high, as the baby is completely constructing itself.
- Carbonhydrates are the main source of energy, they are fissioned inside your cells to create it. Though mostly products high on carbonhydrates include a lot of fat. But either way you need them, and mostly they are found inside sweets. Be sure not to eat too many candies, but don’t restrict yourself too much from eating them either.
- Minerals essentially control your cells’ water level. They are used to “refresh” the cell’s water to keep it running.
- Fat first of all is a nutrient used for keeping your body’s structure.
But also, it is a back-up energy source which is harder to fission, and thus it is placed for long-term storage when not needed.
In addition, it produces a lot of energy when fissioned and is used by the organism when there are no carbonhydrates available. As stated above, fat comes with candies.
- Calcium is one of the most important elements, and is used in most of the cell’s processes. As new cells are being produced inside the baby’s body, this element and the ones below can’t be ignored.
- Iron is used in your respiratory system and is also an important element.
- Zinc is used all-around the body. Mostly in the brain. It’s deficit will lead to many problems, though too much of it won’t do any better. So try not to ignore the element.
Food to avoid during pregnancy
Now, other from nutrients above there are also negative elements.
It is very important to know where to find them, otherwise you may get in a big trouble by hurting your baby’s still not fully developed health…
Let’s learn more about food to avoid in pregnancy. What food to avoid during pregnancy?
So, warning, please don’t eat the following foods. The list of pregnancy food to avoid:
- Soft cheeses (Feta, Brie, etc.), as well as other unpasteurized milk products. May carry bad bacteria which will obviously not make any good for your baby.
- Undone meat, raw fish products (including sushi) eggs, just for the same reason as above. When the these products are not cooked completely, they may contain dangerous bacteria, which would otherwise be killed by heat.
- Alcohol and coffee, as everything you drink, your baby drinks. Coffee isn’t good for children, and definitely not a good idea for yet to be born babies. And that is not speaking of alcohol, which is to be completely prohibited.
- Products high on mercury, hence many fish types and some preservatives. Mercury tends to store up in the body, and because it may be toxic in high amounts, your baby might get poisoned. Be careful!
Mind this list of food that should be avoided during pregnancy!
Food not to eat during pregnancy: what and when
Not only you should definitely avoid everything above, but you sometimes need to time your diet to fit the pregnancy’s trimesters. Sometimes products are better to be consumed at a later time, while some shall not be consumed after a certain period of time.
So, what are the food to avoid during early pregnancy (first trimester)? Follow everything earlier from the article, but most importantly:
- No more caffeine and alcohol for the whole pregnancy period. As said, they will do more harm to your baby, than good.
- Cut on fish products, especially salmons, shrimps, canned tuna etc. if you haven’t done this already.
- Also, if not done already, remove raw or undercooked meats from you diet.
- No more unpasteurized milk products for the reason we discussed earlier.
We also suggest you to drink as much water as possible, because you need to be hydrated. Most of the processes in the organism require water to complete especially as you have a baby to care who needs these loads of processes to be done.
And finally, the finishing line, the third trimester. Everything stays the same as for the second and first trimester, though you have to very much strictly control the diet. As the baby is more developed than ever, you also have to consume a bit more than earlier.
Sour? Sweet or smoked? Salty?
Everything is pretty basic when you decide on whether you will be eating sweet, salt, smoked or sour products. As for sweets, you can occasionally take some. They provide you with a large amount of carbonhydrates and fat you baby and you require to produce energy.
As well as sweet foods, you can eat sour. Moreover you will probably want sour food, as it is naturally observed in early stages of pregnancy. You can also point a green light to salty foods during pregnancy, as they are not bad for you unless diagnosed with sicknesses, that restrict you from eating salt.
Though as it is the main mineral for controlling cell’s water input/output, it is very important for you to never surpass on eating it. Now, what about smoked meats, fish and what else? The answer is a simple word – No! You shouldn’t eat smoked foods because of a really important fact.
There are bacterias there which are not fully killed when the food is smoked. And as your immune system can’t sustain a high level of defense, the bacterias will penetrate it and do quite a bit of harm to you and the baby. So be careful!
When should you eat?
The answer to the question above is simple.
Eat as precisely and regularly as possible.
By eating at a correct time, your organism gets used to it. And when it does, it can know when to prepare for digestion of the soon coming food.
Though if you have a bad habit of eating at night – please, try and get rid of it.
Nobody want’ these night adventures, not even your digestion system. As it is supposed to be relaxed at night, it won’t do much to digest and the more you put inside it, the more time it is going to take to digest, the less nutrients you are going to get and, finally the worse you are going to feel at the morning.
- the list of the best fruits during pregnancy. Such as, kiwi, pear, apple etc;
- The use of citrus (lemon, tangerines, oranges) for mother-to-be;
- the list of the best vegetables in pregnancy;
- is it ok to eat barries and dried fruits during prergnancy?
- what nuts are the best fot future moms?
- is it safe to eat pulse?
- and what are pros and cons of eating greens for pregnant lady?
What this video about best foods during pregnancy:
And this useful video with healthy snacks idaes for mothers-to-be:
In conclusion we must say, that your diet during pregnancy is on the list of those things you can do to help your baby’s future. As said, pregnancy for the baby itself is the foundation of further life, and the more evenly built and chiseled it is, the easier it is going to built the house on it, and the more intact it is going to be.
And it is mothers destiny to build that foundation and the house itself. And every square inch of this base is formed from every correctly planned and completed day, from every healthy food you eat, or, on the contrary, it is deformed from each incorrect step. So we wish you very best luck with your future baby, and thank you for reading!